- king post
- nounpost connecting the crossbeam to the apex of a triangular truss• Hypernyms: ↑post
* * *noun1. : a vertical member connecting the apex of a triangular truss (as of a roof) with the base — called also crown post; see roof illustration2. : a short strong tubular mast that supports the cargo boom of a shipboard derrick — called also derrick post, samson post
* * *1. a structural member running vertically between the apex and base of a triangular roof truss.2. Mach. a rotating or stationary column for supporting tackle or booms used in lifting.Also, kingpost, king-post.[1770-80]
* * *king post,a vertical post between the apex of a triangular roof truss and a tie beam.
* * *n. an upright post in the center of a roof truss, extending from the tie beam to the apex of the truss
Useful english dictionary. 2012.